What is Families in Transition?
The Families in Transition program is designed to provide parents and children (between the ages of 8-16) with practical information to cope effectively with circumstances that result from divorce. Parental separation and divorce is a difficult experience for children and it creates many changes in their lives. Children experience many feelings such as guilt, anger, disbelief, fear and grief. They also will have many questions such as:
- Why are you getting divorced?
- Did I do something to cause the divorce?
- Where will I live?
- What will happen to us?
How does Families in Transition differ from other divorce-adjustment programs?
- The Families in Transition program provides more practical information on dealing with the effects of divorce on children.
- Classes are designed for both parents and children.
- Both parents attend separate class sessions.
Why is the Families in Transition program required by the court?
When parents are able to work cooperatively to meet the needs of their children, it decreases the likelihood that they will return to court to resolve their differences.
What is the cost?
The fee is $115 per parent with no charge for children. If you are a TANF, SNAP or Medicaid recipient or are on unemployment or disability, the fee can be partially subsidized after verification. The fee must be paid the day of your class by money order or cashier check only – cash and personal checks will not be accepted.
We also accept credit card payments via the DONATE button in the left column of our web pages. All credit card payments must be made no later than 24 hours prior to class date and should include a processing fee of 4% which brings the total to $119.60. Please notify the Program Registrar if you choose to use this online payment option so that your payment is applied correctly.
When do I need to attend the program?
The class needs to be completed within 60 days from the date it is ordered. Registration fills quickly.
What do our clients think?
“(It helped me) look at what my child is losing…it may be more than I realize.”
“The course did a great job conveying listening concepts that are helpful in dealing with my child’s emotions.”
“You helped me to not be so mad.” – 10 yr old boy
“It helped me open up.” – 16 yr old boy
Please Read Carefully
You can sign up online through the link at the bottom of this page or by calling Youth Connections. You will need the following information:
- Your cause number.
- Do not enter any dashes
- There is only room for five (5) numbers after the “DR”. If your paperwork has six (6), leave out one of the zeros after the DR. If your paperwork does not have five (5), insert zeros between the R and your number to create a five-digit number.
- Example: 41C02 1111 DR00111
- Your full name.
- Your address.
- Your email address.
- This is optional, but recommended. You will receive an immediate confirmation of your class date and a future reminder notification the week of your class. Paper confirmation letters are only mailed once, within 3 days of your registration.
- Names and dates of birth for each of your children residing with you in your home if they are attending the FIT session. If they are attending with their other parent, you do not need to enter their information.
- Dates that you are available to attend a class (upcoming classes listed below).
**SPOUSES CAN NOT ATTEND THE SAME SESSION.
If you or your child(ren) have special needs, please contact the Families in Transition Registrar at 317.738.3273 ext 100 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SATURDAY CLASSES (Registration Check-in 8:45am; Class 9am-3pm)
Class Location: Franklin Community Middle School
- November 1, 2014
- November 15, 2014
- December 6, 2014
- December 20, 2014
- January 3, 2015
- January 17, 2015
- February 7, 2015
- February 21, 2015
- March 14, 2015
- March 21, 2015
- April 11, 2015
- April 18, 2015
- May 2, 2015
- May 16, 2015
Class Location: Franklin Community High School
- June 20, 2015
- June 27, 2015
THURSDAY CLASSES (Adults Only – Two 3-hr sessions from 6pm – 9pm)
Class Location: Youth Connections office
- December 4 & 11 – 2014
- February 5 & 12 – 2015
- April 2 & 9 – 2015
- June 11 & 18 – 2015
IF A CLASS DATE IS NOT GIVEN AS AN OPTION DURING THE REGISTRATION PROCESS, EITHER THE CLASS IS FULL OR THE OTHER PARTY HAS REGISTERED FOR THAT CLASS.
Day of the class: Please bring your picture ID and your payment the day of the class.