What is Families in Transition?
The Families in Transition program is designed to provide parents and children (between the ages of 8-16) with practical information to cope effectively with circumstances that result from divorce. Parental separation and divorce is a difficult experience for children and it creates many changes in their lives. Children experience many feelings such as guilt, anger, disbelief, fear and grief. They also will have many questions such as:
- Why are you getting divorced?
- Did I do something to cause the divorce?
- Where will I live?
- What will happen to us?
How does Families in Transition differ from other divorce-adjustment programs?
- The Families in Transition program provides more practical information on dealing with the effects of divorce on children.
- Classes are designed for both parents and children.
- Both parents attend separate class sessions.
Why is the Families in Transition program required by the court?
When parents are able to work cooperatively to meet the needs of their children, it decreases the likelihood that they will return to court to resolve their differences.
What is the cost?
The fee is $115 per parent with no charge for children. If you are a TANF, SNAP or Medicaid recipient or are on unemployment or disability, the fee can be partially subsidized after verification. The fee must be paid the day of your class by money order or cashier check only - cash and personal checks will not be accepted.
We also accept credit card payments via the DONATE button in the left column of our web pages. All credit card payments must be made no later than 24 hours prior to class date and should include a processing fee of 4%. Please notify the Program Registrar if you choose to use this online payment option so that your payment is applied correctly.
When do I need to attend the program?
The class needs to be completed within 60 days from the date it is ordered. Registration fills quickly.
What do our clients think?
“(It helped me) look at what my child is losing…it may be more than I realize.”
“The course did a great job conveying listening concepts that are helpful in dealing with my child’s emotions.”
“You helped me to not be so mad.” – 10 yr old boy
“It helped me open up.” – 16 yr old boy
Please Read Carefully
You can sign up online through the link at the bottom of this page or by calling Youth Connections. You will need the following information:
- Your cause number.
- Do not enter any dashes
- There is only room for five numbers after the “DR” – if your paperwork shows six, only put in the first two zeros
- Example: 41C02 1111 DR00111
- Your full name
- Your address
- Your email address.
- This is optional, but will allow for a confirmation letter to be sent to you immediately with class date, time, location and cost details.
- Names and dates of birth for each of your children residing with you in your home.
- Dates that you are available to attend a class (upcoming classes listed below)
**SPOUSES CAN NOT ATTEND THE SAME SESSION.
If you or your child(ren) have special needs, please contact the Families in Transition Registrar at 317.738.3273 ext 100 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday Classes (Registration Check-in 8:45am; Class 9am-3pm)
- May 4, 2013 – Franklin Community Middle School
- May 11, 2013 – Franklin Community Middle School
- June 1, 2013 – Franklin Community High School
- June 22, 2013 – Franklin Community High School
- July 13, 2013 – Franklin Community High School
- July 27, 2013 – Franklin Community High School
- August 10, 2013 – Franklin Community Middle School
- August 17, 2013 – Franklin Community Middle School
- September 7, 2013 – Franklin Community Middle School
- September 21, 2013 – Franklin Community Middle School
Thursday Classes (ADULTS ONLY - Two 3-hr sessions from 6pm – 9pm)
- June 6th & 13th – Youth Connections
- August 8th & 15th – Youth Connections
IF A CLASS DATE IS NOT GIVEN AS AN OPTION DURING THE REGISTRATION PROCESS, EITHER THE CLASS IS FULL OR THE OTHER PARTY HAS REGISTERED FOR THAT CLASS.
Day of the class: Please bring your picture ID and your payment the day of the class.