Classes For All Youth Ages 12-17
Youth Connections partners with agencies and school in Johnson, Marion, Morgan and Brown counties to offer after school programming for youth. We offer many different programs for mentoring, life skills, and STEM education. Please call Noelle at 317-738-3273 if you are looking for a program for your child that would be a good fit.
The SPARK Mentoring curricula uses age appropriate content and activities that have been proven to effectively reduce risk around high-school drop-out, drug use, bullying, suicide, depression and anxiety, while uncovering resiliency around academic success, impulse control, stress resistance, social-emotional skills and healthy relationships.
These programs prepare students for the self-sufficiency and resiliency needed to become successful young adults.
The SPARK program addresses the following risk and protective factors:
- Academic Success
- Emotional Competency
- Self-Efficacy Skills
- Communication Skills
- Conflict Resolution Skills
- Connectedness to Family, School and Community
Upward Bound using ARISE life skills curriculum helps students overcome class, academic, social, and cultural barriers to higher education. Perfect for teens to develop skills and motivation to successfully complete high school and get ready to go to college.
The Upward Bound ARISE life skills curriculum covers the following areas:
- Conflict and anger management
- Effective communication skills – non-verbal and verbal. How to express your opinion so people will listen.
- Disarming the substance abuse self-destructive button.
- Achieve one’s dreams by using fundamental time management skills so people can depend on you.
- Secrets of finding a job and keeping it.
- Positive effects of developing good personal health and hygiene habits.
- Through all of life’s ups and downs discover what it takes to live a happy, successful, rewarding life.
- Basic relationship skills – including the importance of sharing your feelings.
STEM Education through LEGO
SPIKE Essential curriculum units are designed around playful narrative-based problem-solving with relatable themes that can develop young students into independent STEAM thinkers. Rethink STEAM learning and spark joy in the classroom. With the LEGO® Learning System, students’ knowledge, skills, and confidence grow along with their love of learning year after year.
“The program was so much fun, I did my homework just so I could come to class”
“I did not have any friends until joining this program. Now I have two friends that I talk to and see every day!”
“My favorite part was the experiments and activites we did! We dont get to do that in school!”
Hi I’m Noelle, Youth Services Director! Get in touch anytime!